Monday, January 17, 2011

I can't shoot it!!!

IMG_3272

I went hunting with Ray and the fellas a couple weeks ago. It was my first deer hunt of this season, and my first time to hunt all by myself. I finished my hunters safety course so I was ready to be let loose. One day I will write a post about that course and the guy calling me Barbie in the class...he was a real jerk...anywho, I digress. So we headed out for an afternoon hunt. Ray took me and dropped me off at "Honey Hole" and I positioned myself in the shooting house for the afternoon. Note to self though, next time I will bring a book or something for those times in between when you see something...if you are that lucky. Back to the story...so there I am, looking out, when I see a deer through the trees, coming my way. Now, I have heard of people getting the shakes when they see a deer. I of course was so cool and collected, I didn't experience that. Well, that is a lie. I started shaking as the deer walked out. And I mean, really shaking, like, thought I would blow my own foot off shaking. Its a weird mix of excitment, terror and reminding yourself to be so still that you barely breath. So, whats a girl to do out in the woods by herself, shaking so hard the tree stand is moving??? Bring out that yoga breathing. I KNEW one day it would come in handy. So, I closed my eyes, started my yoga breathing and then calmed myself down. I opened my eyes and saw this huge doe standing perfectly in front of me where I could have blown here from here to China. I bring my gun up...put the crosshairs right on her chest and prepare a shot. Well, then I notice she is not alone...I raise up from the scope to see her baby staring back at me. Yep, her baby, and a little baby at that. So, now I am having the internal struggle of should I shoot her or not...I start weighing my options...

1. The baby surely would be fine....it far enough in the season for it to survive on its own....Pro 1
2. Its a deer, it doesn't have feelings like we think it does, and there are too many deer, and this baby could possibly starve from overpopulation if I don't shoot the mama...Pro 2
3. I can't imagine shooting the mama and watching the baby run off all alone and be scared in the dark woods by itself....Con 1
4. I would be in therapy if I shot this thing in front of its mother.....Con 2

So, I decided not to shoot it...and they stayed in front of me for almost 40 minutes. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen, getting to be that close to them and observe them in their environment...well, a few seconds later, I get a text from Ray....

Ray-"Have you seen anything?"
Anna-"I have a mother and her baby in front of me..."
Ray-"Shoot the mama"
Anna-"I can't shoot the mama with the baby in front of it!!!"
Ray-"Yes you can...shoot the mama!!!"

We go back and forth for awhile and I decide to still not shoot it. Over all, I was very happy with my decision. Did they tease me about it?? Of course, but I know my day will come....Patience is a hunters best friend.

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Supported by ArchiThings.Powered by Blogger