Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Great Deer Hunt of 2010

Okay, follow me here people...this may be a tad bit long, but well worth the read. As my faithful blog followers know, I have lots of goals that I am constantly trying to accomplish. I did my triathlon last summer, my half marathon in October, and my next goal on the list was to shoot a deer. Now, I am an avid animal lover, pick up cats on the 6th Avenue kind of person, so I know this doesn't make sense. But I wanted one, and only one deer head to hang in the river shack. I just thought the decor needed a deer head to be a true cabin...well, and it actually needs 4 walls to be a true cabin, but more on that later. So my great friend Ray Ashby from church decided to brave it and take me to his hunting camp.

IMG_1029 (by alhiggy08)
Please notice my hunting hat won't fit on my head with my Big Sexy Hair and my nails are perfectly polished... :)

So we head out to the shooting house and I am so excited I can't stand it. So we get in position, I am ready, just waiting for a deer to peer its little head out of the woods....so I wait, and wait....and wait some more. So literally, 3 hours have gone by and I haven't seen so much as a bird fly by. When all of a sudden, there is movement....I jerk my binoculars up and give Ray the sign to look. He puts his binoculars up and the following conversation happens....

Ray: What is it? I don't see the deer where are you looking?
Anna: I don't see a deer, its a opossum
Ray: A opossum?? We are not here to watch them
Anna: Its the only thing I've seen move in 3 hours, I'm going to take a shot...
Ray: At the opossum???
Anna: Yes, at the opossum

Needless to say I didn't shoot the opossum, but I wanted to. So meanwhile here is what I was doing....
IMG_1031 (by alhiggy08)
P.S.-That face cover could come in real handy if you had a big zit or something...I digress....So for 2 more hours I sat and stared as hard as I could at this....
IMG_1032 (by alhiggy08)
Beautiful I know, but after a while, I felt like those people wandering through the desert that think they see water....I could have sworn I saw these deer walking out, but that was just in my head. So into hour 5 I was getting beyond impatient. You know how I said at the beginning that I was an avid animal lover...well by this point, if a mama doe and her tiny newborn baby would have walked out, I would have blown both of their heads off. We had to be out of the stands by 6:00 because it would be dark and guess what happened at 5:45....yep, we heard a deer coming out of the woods. So Ray tells me to get my gun up and be looking through my scope because it sounded like it was right on top of us. I wait some more, listening as closely as I can. He asks me if I see anything through my scope and I don't...it is so dark at this point that I can't see jack squat. So, we had to leave....no deer....no head for my wall. However, I have found that I absolutely love hunting...or at least sitting in the stand and waiting for something to come out. So don't give up on my yet, there will be a deer head in my future...but who knows how soon that will be!! :)
IMG_1030 (by alhiggy08)

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Supported by ArchiThings.Powered by Blogger