Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Good Deed....Or So I Thought




Today, I headed off to the grocery store to pick up some items for our neighborhood cookout. I went to the Piggly Wiggly, and while I was in line, the cashier made an announcement several times that there credit/debit machine was down, so you had to pay with either cash or check. There was this little old man in front of me, who heard, or so I thought, the same announcement that I did. Well, obviously he did not because after she scanned all his groceries, he handed her a debit card. She told him that they couldn't accept debit cards, and he said he thought she said they could only take debit cards. So everyone is staring at each other and I thought to myself, you know, what is the big deal...pay for the little old man's groceries, he is probably on a fixed income. So, I told the cashier to just put his groceries with mine. He objected numerous times, but I insisted. He told me, "I am not trying to get fresh with you, but please give me your name and contact information so I can bring you the money." I told him not to worry about it. So, I am feeling pretty good about myself as I am walking out into the parking lot. You know, one of those moments when you walk a little taller because you have just served another human being. Well, as I was walking out, I notice him getting into a brand new LEXUS, like, one just driven off the lot. My jaw dropped...fixed income my butt!! :) So as I hoped into my jeep with one headlight and no keyless entry anymore, I kept trying to reassure myself that I had still done a good deed....maybe he should have paid for my groceries!!! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was still a nice deed.

Gretta said...

you had good intentions and that is all that matters. So sweet of you Anna!


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Supported by ArchiThings.Powered by Blogger