Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Millionaire's Shortbread

So two nights ago, I made quite possibly one of the best deserts I have ever eaten...and to make it that much better, it was simple to make!! Only 5 ingredients! It is called Millionaire's Shortbread and boy is is delicious! Now let me please make a disclaimer before I am scolded by my husband for my sub-par photography...it was early when I was taking these, and I don't know why they kept turning out blurry....but here they are!!
IMG_6816

IMG_6818


Now, a few tips before I give you the recipe. This recipe is not hard...just a little time consuming because you have to wait for each layer to harden/cool. Oh, and while you are making the carmel sauce from scratch...don't run your finger on the back of the spoon to get the carmel off and onto the shortbread layer because it is BOILING LAVA HOT!! I made that mistake and burnt the crap out of my finger, of course the mixture was so thick it just stuck on the finger making matters worse, and my first reaction is to put it in my mouth, then burning my tongue..I promise though the recipe is worth it! Here we go!!

Shortbread:
-2 sticks butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for preparing pans
-2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for preparing pans
-2/3 cup sugar
-1/2 tsp salt

Carmel Layer
-(2) 14 ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
-2 tablespoons butter

Chocolate Topping
-3/4 pound good quality milk chocolate (As I am reading this, I just realized I used a whole pound of chocolate...woops!! The more the merrier I think!)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Butter 2 (8 inch square) non stick pans and coat with flour, tapping off excess. Pleace the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse once. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles peas. (I do not have a food processor, so I just used my big mixer and it worked okay...probably not as good as a food processor though) Press the shortbread mixture into prepared pans and bake until golden brown around the edges, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.

Carmel Layer:
In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat, combing the condensed milk and 2 tablespoons of butter. Slowly bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously. Continue stirring over the heat until the mixture becomes thick and and amber color, about 15 minutes. (This is the worst part to me because my hand got tired, but still WELL WORTH IT!) Pour the carmel over the cooked shortbread and spread evenly using an offset spatula. (This is where I burned myself trying to get the extra carmel off the spatula..just let it stay on there to cool, and eat it off later!! Cool to room temperature.

Chocolate Topping
In a glass bowl, set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate. Once chocolate has melted, pour it over the cooled carmel layer. Cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes, and then place in the refrigerator to cool completely, allowing chocolate to slightly harden but not get too hard. Cut into 2-inch squares and enjoy!!

Oh a side note, I had company over for dinner last night that went BONKERS over these. And I at so much of it yesterday, including a piece for breakfast that I thought I was going to be sick...but like a trooper, I kept eating! Let me know what you thinK!!

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Supported by ArchiThings.Powered by Blogger