Saturday, June 13, 2009

I'm trying not to be a Material Girl!



There are very few possessions that I have that I am particular about....one would be my dishes and the other would be my boat. I had an experience this week that made me realize that I am a psycho. Well, I guess I should start off with a little history. I bought my boat when I graduated from college instead of doing something responsible, like buying a house. (Much better idea to move home with Mom so you can afford a nice boat) Anywho, I babied that boat, washed it every time it went into the water, cleaned the seats, the whole 9 yards. After all, it was the most expensive thing I owned. Anywho, I get really nervous when I am putting it in the water, pulling it, etc. I am always afraid something is going to happen to it...and more for the fact that it would be something stupid that I did on my part, like forget to put the plug in. I digress...I am really trying, and I have decided that it is insured, so what is the big deal...and really, it's God's boat, not mine, so I shouldn't fret about it. That brings me to my next experience. My friend Justin borrowed some of my pewter serving trays and a couple of my glass pitchers for a breakfast he was doing. I went over some basic ground rules with him, because boys don't know not to put these items in the dishwasher...etc. Well, David put the fear of God in him that if something happened to my dishes he better watch out. I on the other hand just wanted to let him know what not to do with them because they scratch easily, etc. Not that big of a deal I thought. Well his breakfast was on Tuesday, and he called me yesterday, which was Friday to FINALLY tell me that he had been searching all over to find me a replacement pitcher because he broke one of mine and he was so sorry, and was planning his on funeral. I felt like absolute dirt. My own friend was scared to call me because of an accident. I told him it wasn't a big deal that I had bought like 10 of those pitchers at Michael's one day when they were on sale for $4.00 each and I had plenty, but he was really afraid to tell me. Now, the part of this story that makes me so upset is that there are some people we know that are the most materialistic people in the world...they value ALL of their possessions more than people or anything else and it infuriates me. I swore I would never be like that and for the most part, I have no problem or don't even think twice about letting someone borrow anything of mine. Obviously in these two areas I still need some work...so, if any of you need to borrow my dishes or boat...let me know. :)

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Supported by ArchiThings.Powered by Blogger