Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Back door guests (bloggers) are the very best!

Hi everybody! It's Dave! I'll be guest blogging on Anna's behalf tonight!

Anna's family has a bit of a history of colon cancer so at her last physical her doctor referred her to have a colonoscopy. That's what her previous post was all about. You have to drink all that stuff to prep the canvas (if you will).

Now...let me be clear...colon cancer and other related problems are no laughing matter. We all have family and friends who have suffered with those horrible problems. However...there are many things related to a colonoscopy that are funny.


We started the day at The Surgery Center of Decatur. I thought it was in poor taste that they required colonoscopy patients to enter through the back door.

IMG_6960

Anna was then taken back and prepped for the procedure. It took a couple of attempts to get that i.v. started....thus the "cold-damp-please don't vomit" towel on her forehead.

IMG_6963

They took her back for the procedure and everything went extremely well. They found nothing of any concern so we're good on that end of things (so to speak).

Now the part of a colonoscopy that is so funny to me is the time in the recovery room post procedure. They fill the colon up with air during the procedure so they can see. When it's over....that air has to go somewhere. Yes....I am a 30 year old man. Yes....I realize this is part of a medical procedure. But I'm sorry....sitting in that room listening to all the wind being broke in the recovery bays around me....that's hilarious. If I live to be 110 years old that will still be funny to me.


We got nice pictures of the inside of Anna's colon too....bonus!

IMG_6964

I added a little blur to the pictures to protect what's left of Anna's dignity.

Anna was "awake" almost immediately after coming back into the recovery room but she was high as an American Idol Season 8 Paula Abdul. Her memory has been pretty awful as well since the procedure. As of 9:00pm this evening I have had the same conversation with Anna about 6 times. Bless her heart.*




*The phrase "Bless her heart" absolves the author of all repercussions of making fun of his spouse in the preceding article.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything "came out" ok. I have a few of those pictures if you want to swap them like trading cards. That memory thing is amazing. I was usually up and at Chili's for a Big Mouth Burger in a matter of minutes.

Meg0429 said...

Anna, I am glad that everything turned out ok with your colon and it was all clear :) I was going to call you, but my Dad had one not that long ago and I remember talking to him after it happened. Ha it was very entertaining as I am sure you were as well. Not to mention, he called me the next day and said "did I call you?" Gotta love it. Thank you David for giving us an update and not a play by play action. You did a great job as a guest. I hope Anna that you are less "airy" today :)


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Supported by ArchiThings.Powered by Blogger