Monday, March 23, 2009

Which is better.....



A car that has been paid for for 3 years, that has its occasional problems, or a new car with a payment. I have debated this for a long time now. I LOVE my jeep, but truth be told, the past several months, its been in the shop more than it has been out. Nothing too major, $272.00 here, $300.00 there, so in my mind, its still less than a car payment every month. Not to mention that I get emotionally attached to my cars, which is weird I know...but we have been through alot together (yes, I am talking about my car). But each time I take it in, I swear to myself that I am going to get a new car so I don't have to deal with these problems...but then I think about all the months that go by where there are not any problems and I am not making a payment. Who know???? I don't know what do to. Any suggestions??

4 comments:

Meg0429 said...

I know what you mean about the attachment to your car. I loved my Lucy the Lumina I had throughout high school. When I had to get rid of her, I was very sad. I have never had that connection with my Honda that I had with her. She got me through a lot of things and had a lot of memories with her. I guess you will have to decide whether you want to pay that car payment on an old jeep or a new car. It is the best time right now to buy a new car....

lvining said...

Since I am married to Dave Ramsey Jr....He would want me to send you this link. Don't shoot the messenger! :) I know what you mean though...I was sad when we sold my car.

http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/lms/drive_free/player.cfm

Bart said...

Anna
If I have any advice to give anyone right now it is this...
Go find out everything you can about "Dave Ramsey" ... he explains exactly why it is crazy to EVER have a car payment.

I would say keep your paid for car and start putting back the money you would make on a new car payment. Then in 10-12 months you can go buy a used vehicle (which will also be paid for) The idea is to keep doing that until you get a nicer vehicle. New cars depreciate and get you deeper in debt ... and this is not the time in America to be any deeper in debt.

Really go check out Dave Ramsey ... Linda and I are currently taking his Financial Peace University course at our church. It is life changing.

lvining said...

http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/lms/drive_free/

Sorry the link was too long to copy and paste in to the window...so if this one doesn't work it is called "Drive Free, Retire Rich" and you can Google it


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Supported by ArchiThings.Powered by Blogger